Unusual problem with Squid-1.1.20

From: David Carter <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:32:40 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

Hope some wise soul out there can shed some light on this as I'm fairly
baffled by this problem.

We've been running squid here for a couple of months very happily, that is
until I added a third internal webserver. The other two (one Linux/apache
animal, one NT/IIS beast) are seen by squid with absolutely no problem,
but Squid just refuses to talk to this new machine. However I can pull up
the index.html (a very simple file with nothing toxic in it) by:

1) Running lynx on other hosts (which are currently not proxy aware).
2) Telnetting to port 80 and typing GET.
3) Turning off the proxies in Netscape.

If the proxies are on, Netscape just sits there and eventually times out.
The squid log shows (at the end of the timeout):

ERR_CONNECT_FAIL/400 818 GET http://hostname/ - DIRECT/hostname -

It doesn't make any difference whether I type the hostname, or the FQDN or
even the IP address. I've tried the local_domain and local_ip directives
in the conf file with little effect.

So the question is why is Squid failing to talk to this machine? The
webserver is an i586-FreeBSD beast running Apache-1.3. Any ideas anyone?

As far as I know the webserver is set up exactly the same way as the other
hosts on our network (DNS, routing and so forth.)

Many TIA,

David Carter, Internet Programming and Security | "Most of the shadows
SOL Børs AS, Oslo. | in life are caused
david@solbors.no http://www.solbors.no/ | by standing in your
Norway's Top Financial Site. | own sunshine" R.W. Emerson