Memory allocation under Aix 4.2

From: Andy Lee <andrew.lee@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:30:59 BST

I have been getting the unable to allocate x bytes errors under Squid
1.1.22 compiled on Aix4.2 using gcc 2.8.1 and running on 3/90 with
256MB ram with limits set to 0 for each user.

Looking through the code it relies on calling xmalloc to allocate the
memory required. Following through the normal headers (malloc.h)
shows xmalloc takes three args from the man :

caddr_t xmalloc (size, align, heap)
int size ;
int align;
caddr_t heap ;

and seems to require calls to xmfree to free the memory.

Squid tries to use the gcc version of xmalloc which takes just one
arg .

I can't actually prove it but it seems using the standard configure
and make under AIX gets confused over the xalloc. You then get the
typical climb to 128MB resident memory size and die problem.

I've now linked against libgnumalloc.a and added gmalloc.o to the
XTRA_OBJS in the src squid Makefile (as recommended in the gnumalloc
notes).

The memory usage as shown by top is climbing more slowly ( It dies
after about 1.5 hours)

Question - does anyone know any aix memory bugs
How stable is 1.2 - will it last more than 1.5 hours ?

Any thoughts ?

cheers
Andy Lee
Unix Support