Re: squid, alpha, and memory

From: B. Richardson <rabtter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:39:23 -0400 (EDT)

Maybe running out of physical memory?

Here's something I learned from trial and error (before I started watching
this list). First attempts at running squid I tried to tweak to use all
available memory (efficiently without swapping of course) out of the gate.
You can't do that because squid's memory requirements grows as the
cache grows. When my cache is empty my memory usage is pretty close to
what my cache_mem setting is but over time the process memory usage
seems to grow nearly proportional the disk usage by the cache as some
information is kept in memory for each object in the cache. In practice
I have to allow about 7 mb of memory for each GB of disk usage by the
cache.