Re: Memory allocation under Aix 4.2

From: B. Richardson <rabtter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:42:21 -0400 (EDT)

How about the cache size? The progessive growth is not going to
stop until the cache itself stops growing (unless of course
there is memory leakage). It is normal and expected for squid
to grow quickly to a certain level and then grow slowly after
that (while the cache itself is growing). The reason why is that
the object cache database held in memory grows proportionally to the
object cache (on disk) itself. You will also find that the disk usage is
going up relative to the size of the squid process itself. If your system
restricts the vm available to a process to 128 mb via a ulimit or some
other means, that process is going to die regardless of whether it got
there quickly or thru progressive slow growth.

Are you getting a message like "squid aborted due to progressive slow
growth, 128 mb memory usage insignificant"? :-)

Try this code snippet. Change 127 to like 128, 129 or bigger and see
if malloc fails somewhere along the way.
------- cut --------
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

main()