"squid -k" or HUP kills squid (HTTP Port locked)

From: Matthew J. Probst <mprobst@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:20:48 -0600 (MDT)

I've notices that doing "squid -k" or "kill -1 <SquidPID>" will (the
majority of the time) kill squid all together.

I guess squid is completely disconnecting itself from the http port,
re-reading its config files, and then trying to re-attach to the port.
But what if the port is still locked. (I think this might be an OS
problem)... squid will return a "FATAL: Cannot open HTTP Port" error and
die.

I'm running this on a linux 2.1.90 box.

I've found that EVEN if I kill squid completely... and there are NO
processes listed with "ps", the port is sometimes still locked... (it
takes between 5 and 40 seconds generally to unlock the port so I can
reload squid)

Any suggestions? Is this an OS or a squid problem?

 Matthew J. Probst | Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
 Sys. Programmer, BYU CS Dept |wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
 mprobst@cs.byu.edu | -Andrew Tanenbaum