Re: "squid -k" or HUP kills squid (HTTP Port locked)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:19:52 +0200

Matthew J. Probst wrote:
> I've found that EVEN if I kill squid completely... and there are NO
> processes listed with "ps", the port is sometimes still locked... (it
> takes between 5 and 40 seconds generally to unlock the port so I can
> reload squid)

This should not happen, unless you start squid with the -R option.

> Any suggestions? Is this an OS or a squid problem?

If you are NOT using -R then it smells like a OS problem. The default
setting (without -R) is to use SOREUSEADDR which is supposed to tell the
OS that is is allowed to quickly reopen a closed socket (without
SOREUSEADDR the OS has to refuse applications who tries to reopen a
socket where there has been active connections recently)

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker