RE: Squid 1.2 Release Date & Effectiveness of Proxies

From: Tim Brody <bvr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:47:18 +0100

( ) -- ( )
( ) / o \ ( )
( )__ \ / ( )__
(____) --- (____)

More seriously, I need some ammunition. I want to install a proxy at my
local ISP (I'm sure the enthusiasm should be the other way round), but they
think it's a waste of time..."it's just another machine for the request to
go through".

Can anybody give me some _general_ information on the benefits of Proxies,
like do Proxies (squid1.2) slow down requests, how effective is a proxy on a
low bandwidth connection, i.e. ISDN? Do proxies pose any security risk,
assuming that ACLs block external access to the proxy. Most information on
proxies seem to cover T1/T3 type load ... I'm not really in that ball-park!

Thanks,
Tim.