Re: Problems with Linux/Squid

From: Eric Stern <estern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:19:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, David Sutton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been going through the archives but haven't really found an answer to this:
>
> I'm running Squid on a Linux based Pentium system, with a 6.4Gb EIDE drive and 128Mb of memory. Whilst running over the weekend, several problems kept occuring. The cache is acting as a transparent proxy, and is handling about 130 requests a minute.
>
> The first problem is that the LRU Expiration time droped to about 0.22 days .. if I read the FAQ right, this is related to disk space?

Yup. Have you got your squid configured to use all of your disk space? You
didn't mention what version of squid you are using.

> The second is that filesystem errors keep being reported to console, and eventually the server 'ran out of diskspace' even although df reported that there was about 2Gb free on the hard drive. The machine also kept getting duplicate block errors, thus the machine required fsck being run by hand every reboot.
>
> In case this was a file descriptor problem, I installed the FD patch, and squid had 1024 FDs available for use.
>
> I'd be willing to kernel patch, as I am trying to keep all the systems Linux based. I'm also trying out a FreeBSD box, but still would prefer a Linux solution.

Sounds like you have a terribly corrupt file system. I'd backup the system
and reformat the partitions and reinstall the system. If the problems come
back, its time to look for software causes. Or, perhaps even a faulty
harddrive. Oh, and reinstalling with the latest version of linux isn't a
bad idea (I personally recommend RedHat 5.1).

/ Eric Stern - PacketStorm Technologies - (519) 837-0824 /
/ http://www.packetstorm.on.ca /
/ WebSpeed - a transparent web caching server - available now! /