Re: Problems with Linux/Squid

From: Christian Krackowizer <kra1@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:10:34 +0200

At 16:49 20.07.98 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
> I've been going through the archives but haven't really found an answer
to this:

> I'm running Squid on a Linux based Pentium system, with a 6.4Gb EIDE
drive and 128Mb of memory. Whilst running over the weekend, several
problems kept occuring. The cache is acting as a transparent proxy, and is
handling about 130 requests a minute.

> The first problem is that the LRU Expiration time droped to about 0.22
days .. if I read the FAQ right, this is related to disk space?

> The second is that filesystem errors keep being reported to console, and
eventually the server 'ran out of diskspace' even although df reported that
there was about 2Gb free on the hard drive. The machine also kept getting
duplicate block errors, thus the machine required fsck being run by hand
every reboot.

> In case this was a file descriptor problem, I installed the FD patch,
and squid had 1024 FDs available for use.

> I'd be willing to kernel patch, as I am trying to keep all the systems
Linux based. I'm also trying out a FreeBSD box, but still would prefer a
Linux solution.

>Regards,
>
> David Sutton
>---
>David Sutton - Systems Administrator
>Legend Internet
>sysadmin@legend.co.uk

Hmm, we noticed, that heavy load on (E)IDE-Disks is killing them,
especially the bigger ones. We had 11GB-disks running only a few weeks ...
On all our servers, we switched to SCSI-Disks, moving the Non-SCSI to lower
loaded workstations.
These facts are not in conjunction with squid - these are 300Mhz Pentium
running Windows NT - I think avoiding cheap Non-SCSI-disks will cause less
(non squid related) trouble...

| Krackowizer Christian mailto:kra1@technodat.co.at |
| TECHNODAT Phone: ++43-(0)662-454944-0 |
| CAD/CAM - Systeme fuer Moebel GmbH FAX: ++43-(0)662-454944-9 |
| Jakob-Haringer-Strasse 6 http://www.technodat.co.at/ |
| A-5020 Salzburg / Austria |