Re: Serving stale pages

From: Phil Dye <pmd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:21:06 +0100

On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 09:51:38PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Rodney Holm wrote:
>
> > Am I correct in assuming that it has something to do with the web
> > server not sending the Last Modified information or the Expires
> > information in the http header.
>
> It also depends on which refresh_parttern settings you have in
> squid.conf.

Talking of which, what are folks using to tweak their refresh_pattern?
The default treats everything the same, which I am aware is (mostly)
non-optimal, since images tend to change less often than HTML text.

I realise that there is going to be no definitive answer to this;
the 'right' values will depend on your user community and what
they use the cache for, but are there any general pointers?

--
Phil Dye                        | Work: pmd@tcp.net.uk
Network Manager                 | Play: phil@lart.ing.co.uk