Re: [squid-users] CHECK THIS ONE-squid makes network connections slow?

From: <hamster@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 13:37:43 +0100 (BST)

Chris Tilbury wrote....
> We have a cache_swap 5500, which means the actual disk in use hovers
> around 5.1Gb. The metadata alone for a cache this size occupies
> around 40Mb of memory; add the cache_mem of 32Mb which you have to
> that, and you've already exceeded the physical memory in the system
> (we have cache_mem set to 8Mb, this is in a system with 192Mb of
> physical memory).
[...]
> You should either install more memory; reduce cache_mem &
> cache_swap, as well as the maximum cached object size,both possibly
> quite drastically; or try using the NOVM version of squid. A
> combination of these might even be necessary (NOVM with less
> cache_swap).

Does anyone have a feel for what combinations of parameters work well
with various cache size/physical memory/OS?

At the moment I've got

cache_size 5500
cache_mem 16
and a max object size of 4096

Some tweaking is about to be done to see what happens but I'd be
interested to hear what other ppl's experience is.

        Mark

--
Mark Lowes <hamster@lspace.org>			http://hamster.wibble.org/
Wibble.org					http://www.wibble.org/