Re: Cacheflow vs. Squid

From: Carlos Maltzahn <carlosm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:10:39 -0600 (MDT)

Our department runs Squid and Cacheflow. Because of Cacheflow's
prefetching and proactive refreshing of pages from the most popular sites
it appears to do really well for things like www.cnn.com or www.news.com.
However, it's design is explicitly geared towards latency reduction as
opposed to bandwidth reduction. As far as I know it does not limit active
caching to off-time periods. We haven't measured the bandwidth usage
caused by Cacheflow but I strongly suspect that active caching uses a lot
of extra bandwidth.

Also, beware of using Cacheflow for anything else but standard web
browsing traffic. For example, I used it as a proxy to robot-scan the
content of popular web sites. Bad idea: Days after I completed the scans
we received angry phone calls from some of these sites. The Cacheflow box
was apparently sending an aggressive amount of refresh requests to these
scanned sites...

I guess the bottom line is that Cacheflow is great for latency reduction
of standard web traffic. On the other hand, Squid is free and will more
likely reduce your bandwidth consumption.

Carlos