Cacheflow vs. Squid

From: Fraser Campbell <fraser@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:58:52 -0400 (EDT)

Someone has contacted me regarding a product called Cacheflow. He/they
claim their product is vastly superior to Squid. I'd like to know if
anyone here has any experience or comments with the product
(http://www.cacheflow.com/).

The product apparently uses "active caching". This is it "by keeping
track of both user requests and content changes and by sending refresh
requests based on algorithms that calculate the probability that a refresh
will be needed. CacheFlow says this technique can boost hit rate to as
high as 75%, compared with 30% to 40% in most cache systems."

I would say that this prefetching of a page (while it may slightly
increase response time) is going to use just as much bandwidth (possibly
more). What does everyone think? Has anyone here used Cachflow? Sorry,
if this is slightly off topic but I believe comparing alternative caching
systems to be relevant.

* Fraser M. Campbell - available for employment *
* Email: fraser@greynet.net Phone: (519) 364-6115 *
* http://www.greynet.net/fraser/ *