OFFLINE: Help with Apache and FP98 SERK

From: Dave <dburwell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:29:10 -0700

  This has nothing to do with Squid. Squid is not even running on this box
(yet). Since most squid users support web sites, I thought I could tap into
this knowledge base.
  You want to flame me, my email is bgates@microsoft.com - really (well...
really it's dburwell@telecom.com)
  Please don't click on "Reply:".
  Please don't respond to the list.

  I am having problems with Apache, MS Frontpage 98 SERK and Virtual Hosts.
  I want my clients to be able to have their own Virtual web server, AND
MANAGE IT VIA FP98 (This is the key).
  This is NOT a commercial site, all of my clients work here. I want to
setup web sites for individuals (joe.telecom.com, ed.telecom.com,
departmentX.telecom.com, etc.).
  I would like to have an off-line discussion on this.
  If you feel like helping, I would love to hear from you, please respond
directly (dburwell@telecom.com).

  First, Apache works. I have created several Virtual Web sites.
  My problem is that when I install the FP98 SERK-3.0 (AND REBOOT THE
SERVER), the SERK doesn't allow the FP98 client to manage the Virtual
sites. Or the client gets an error message that says it could find a
certain file on the web site.

  Here is an overview of my current setup:
  I have one domain - telecom.com
  I have one physical machine (SunOS 4.1.4) - dhcpserv - running Apache
1.3.0. I have tried Apache 1.2.5 and 1.2.6, I get the same results.
  I want this machine to "be" several Web sites (Virtual Hosts), it-support
& symm411 are the most important, the real machine name as a web site is
not important. I want to add several more V-Webs.
  I have modified my DNS records so the it-support.telecom.com and
symm411.telecom.com are CNAME's of dhcpserv.telecom.com.
  Each web site has it's own subdirectory (/usr/local/apache/share/symm411,
and /usr/local/apache/share/it-support. The original
/usr/local/apache/share/htdocs is still there. I plan on using the
$HOME/public_html for each users personal V-Web.
  In this configuration, the basic web server works as it should. When you
go to it-support.telecom.com, you get the pages out of the it-support
directory. When you go to the symm411 site, you get the pages out of the
symm411 directory.
  But... When you try to manage it, the FP98 client gets errors or will
they are not allowed to create new pages. All UNIX permissions are correct
(I think), and the user is NOT asked for a username or password when they
"see" it with FP98.
  I don't know if this is an Apache, a SERK or a FP98 client problem.
  The SERK seems to install correctly, but when I try to use the admin html
pages, they don't work.