Re: Caching Priviate Sites

From: Ron Andrews <aron@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 15:08:19 MST

> >There is an educational site we want our schools to hit. Some of our
> >schools have slow lines and hence we want the site cached. However,
> >the educational site is password protected.
> >
> >Squid won't cache "private" packets. This site comes across as
> >"private" because it is password protected.
> >
> >Is there any way to trick Squid into caching this site?
>
> There is no way to configure squid to do this.
>
> You could modify the source code to do it.

I've been trying to change the source code for the last couple of
hours. I'm not getting anywhere (well once I stopped it from
caching at all).

I've been spending most of my time in the http.c file specifically
the httpCachableReply function. I'm not sure if I'm even looking in
the right place.

Do you know what changes in the source code to make? Even a good
place to start would be helpful.

Do you know of somebody who might know what changes to try?

> Also, if the server sends
>
> Cache-Control: proxy-revalidate
>
> Then the responses are cachable, but every request requires revalidation.

Thanks for this thought. I have verified, however, that no cache is
taking place on my Squid server.

aron@nebo.EDU

Ron Andrews 350 South Main Street Phone: (801)798-4000
Technical Services Spanish Fork, Utah FAX: (801)798-4010
Nebo School District 84660 Home: (801)798-2062