Re: Caching Priviate Sites

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:48:05 -0600

"Ron Andrews" writes:

>There is an educational site we want our schools to hit. Some of our
>schools have slow lines and hence we want the site cached. However,
>the educational site is password protected.
>
>Squid won't cache "private" packets. This site comes across as
>"private" because it is password protected.
>
>Is there any way to trick Squid into caching this site?

There is no way to configure squid to do this.

You could modify the source code to do it.

Also, if the server sends

        Cache-Control: proxy-revalidate

Then the responses are cachable, but every request requires revalidation.

RFC 2068, section 14.8:

   When a shared cache (see section 13.7) receives a request containing
   an Authorization field, it MUST NOT return the corresponding response
   as a reply to any other request, unless one of the following specific
   exceptions holds:

     1. If the response includes the "proxy-revalidate" Cache-Control
        directive, the cache MAY use that response in replying to a
        subsequent request, but a proxy cache MUST first revalidate it with
        the origin server, using the request-headers from the new request
        to allow the origin server to authenticate the new request.
     2. If the response includes the "must-revalidate" Cache-Control
        directive, the cache MAY use that response in replying to a
        subsequent request, but all caches MUST first revalidate it with
        the origin server, using the request-headers from the new request
        to allow the origin server to authenticate the new request.
     3. If the response includes the "public" Cache-Control directive, it
        may be returned in reply to any subsequent request.

Duane W.