Re: Squid and MSIE 3.x

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:29:55 +1000

Gudbjorn Hreinsson wrote:

> We have now high reports of users with MSIE 3.x who have
> irregular problems getting web pages through Squid 1.1.22
> on Linux 2.0.34.
>
> The problem is that Squid seems to sometimes have a problem
> closing the last tcp connection to the client, hanging with
> a socket in a FIN-WAIT2 state, i.e. the client has not acked
> the last close, but only (reported by) clients with MSIE 3.x.
>
> This seems not related to any changes to our setup, all routes
> are correct, and Squid is a stock release from nlanr.
>
> The various debugging options have not shown anything interesting.
>
> This seems more tcp/ip related than Squid, but if anyone has a idea
> or has seen this before I would be obliged.

We see an interesting situation on our proxies:

Scenario 1:
1. MSIE opens a connection to the proxy.
2. MSIE makes a request.
3. Proxy delivers response.
4. MSIE makes a second request on the same connection.
5. Squid refuses it (correctly).
6. MSIE closes the connection.
7. Repeat as required.

Scenario 2:
1. MSIE opens a connection to the proxy.
2. MSIE makes a request.
3. Proxy delivers response.
4. User walks away from PC, connection remains open for quite some time.
5. Squid eventually tries to time-out the connection. No matching close
from the other end. Connection lingers in FIN_WAIT for quite some time.