Re: heartbeat monitoring/failover list

From: Carlos Horowicz <carlos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:23:16 -0300

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <E0z9UGZ-0005ro-00@gizmo.lut.ac.uk>,
> Martin Hamilton <martin@net.lut.ac.uk> wrote:
> >At the recent WWW caching workshop in Manchester [1], there was quite
> >a bit of interest in developing a free software (or should that be
> >"open source" ?) system for doing the sort of heartbeat monitoring and
> >transparent failover characterised by various Unix/NT/switch vendors
> >"high availability" and "clustering" offerings. There doesn't appear
> >to be anything out there at the moment - unless you know better!
>
> Well there's some info in the Linux High Availability HOWTO.. most
> of it applies to a lot more systems than just Linux.
>
> You can find it for example at
> http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/linux-ha/High-Availability-HOWTO.html
>
> Mike.
> --
> Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
> miquels@cistron.nl | eventually eliminating it. <*>
> --
> The From: and Reply-To: addresses are internal mail2news gateway addresses.
> Reply to the list or to miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)

At the client level, the so called "Autoproxy Configuration" provided by a
self-written FindProxyForURL JS function, should provide transparent failover.
Even at the server level, I think that having more than one server for each
squid functionality (at the intranet or at the gateway level) ensures higher
availability. Conclusion: am I missing the point ?

Carlos Horowicz
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Buenos Aires, Argentina