Re: Squid cannot handle load?

From: Stewart Forster <slf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:25:40 +1000

What version of squid are you using?

If it's 1.1 then you're probably I/O bound and your disks are slowing down or
you're running out of memory. On squid 1.1 this can happen at an HTTP rate
of about 3 HTTP requests per disk spindle eg. 5 disks = 15 HTTP reqs/sec.
I'm talking rough numbers here. As for memory, squid needs to be practically
fully resident. If less than 90% of your squid process is resident (use top)
then you have a memory problem.