Re: Squid not caching pages served from Netscape servers?

From: Mike Laster <mlaster@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 00:43:05 -0400

--On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 10:06 PM -0600 Alex Rousskov <rousskov@nlanr.net>
wrote:

> Oops. I forgot that you are using Squid 1.1. "-H" is available in Squid
> 1.2 distribution only. (It allows you to add any header(s) to the
> request). You can emulate the IMS request using "-i", but you will have
> to calculate the number of seconds.

I guess I'll have to upgrade to 1.2 then. It's been out long enough I guess
it's decently stable by now anyway.

> Neither. It is the desire of the origin _site_ to include custom content
> with every reply:
>
> $ ./client -p 80 -h www.netscape.com / > /tmp/t1
> $ ./client -p 80 -h www.netscape.com / > /tmp/t2
> $ ./client -p 80 -h www.netscape.com / > /tmp/t3
>
> $ diff3 /tmp/t{1,2,3} # omitting Date: differences
> Set-cookie: NGUserID=cfc84949-730-904104030-3; ...
> --
> Set-cookie: NGUserID=cfc84949-730-904104034-2; ...
> --
> Set-cookie: NGUserID=cfc84949-4479-904104037-1; ...
>

> It may look stupid, but it is their right given them by HTTP.

I've seen this happen on sites that don't set cookies. Here is the
diff of 2 compares of http://www.apple.com:

mlaster@moose:/usr/local/squid/bin> diff /tmp/1 /tmp/2
[0]
3c3
< Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:30:20 GMT

---
> Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:30:23 GMT
4a5,6
The only differences seem to be Date, X-Cache and X-Cache-Lookup.  It seems
to be that the only reasaon Date is different is because squid refetched.
And should Squid know enough to ignore differences in X-Cache lines?  Just
because my parent missed or hit isn't any reason for me to invalidate the
object, is it?
> For better or worse, in Squid 1.2, you can do a lot of things that affect
> refresh rules, up to violating every single refresh-related MUST of the
> HTTP if you dare. Sorry, I do not remember what was available in 1.1;
> maybe somebody else on the list will help you with that.
Are these config options documented somewhere?  I just upgraded to 1.2 and
I didn't see anything in the standard squid.conf that looks like it would
do this job.  I'd be willing to violate a few refresh rules if I can
significantly
improve my hit ratios with these problematic servers.