Re: Squid not caching pages served from Netscape servers?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 23:25:01 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Mike Laster wrote:

> I've seen this happen on sites that don't set cookies. Here is the
> diff of 2 compares of http://www.apple.com:
>
> mlaster@moose:/usr/local/squid/bin> diff /tmp/1 /tmp/2
> [0]
> 3c3
> < Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:30:20 GMT
> ---
> > Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:30:23 GMT
> 4a5,6
>
> The only differences seem to be Date, X-Cache and X-Cache-Lookup. It seems
> to be that the only reasaon Date is different is because squid refetched.

Correct.

> And should Squid know enough to ignore differences in X-Cache lines?

Squid added those after fetching the document. They are not the cause of the
miss. The real cause, as we discussed before, is that the server returns full
object ("200 OK" response) when Squid sends an IMS request, and provides no
expiration information.

> Are these config options documented somewhere? I just upgraded to 1.2 and
> I didn't see anything in the standard squid.conf that looks like it would
> do this job. I'd be willing to violate a few refresh rules if I can
> significantly improve my hit ratios with these problematic servers.

Your best bet is to carefully re-read squid.conf and search through
squid-users archive (and visit Henrik's Squid Web page for recent heavy-duty
HTTP-violating patches :) ).

Alex.