Re: transparent and FTP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:02:25 +0200

Andrew Hall wrote:

> Does any one know of any unix-like mapper utilities that will allow
> FTP caching with a transparent proxy? I realise that normally a

Transparent FTP proxying of FTP requests is doable. The hard part is to
cache them... I have heard rumors that there exists such a beast that
caches transparently proxied FTP requests but I do know more than that.

Note that I say FTP proxying of FTP requests, this is wery different
from HTTP proxying of FTP requests as done when a WWW client is
configured to use a proxy.

For a started (non-caching proxy) TIS Toolkit ftp-gw + IP-Filter
transproxy patches (or a similar construct for ipfwadm) can be used.

> Can this be done?

It is probably doable yes, but not obvious how to do it properly.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker