Re: Connection coming up when using squid

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 15:29:17 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Holger Raschke wrote:

> I am running squid in a small LAN with 2 windows machine and 1 linux
> server (Debian1.3.1). I turned the option "log_fqdn" to "off". As
> automatic dial-up system i managed to configure diald, named and pppd
> daemons.
> When i try to get pages, that are cached by squid, an internet
> connection is coming up.

How do you know that those pages were indeed cached? Does the X-Cache-Lookup
header says "HIT"?

> By stopping diald and analyzing the "cache.log"
> file i recognized, that squid tries to connect to pages including
> references with cgi-bin or ?. So i modified the option that makes squid
> removing these pages immediately from the cache. But it didn't solve my
> problem.

If you just modified a "no_cache" option, note that there are other factors
control cachability as well. For example, the origin server (or client) may
send special cache-control directives to prevent caching.

Also note that there are scenarios when Squid needs to contact an origin
server for _cached_ objects. For example, to verify object freshness.

> How can i get the cached pages from squid without connecting again? Can
> someone give me a hint?

One way would be to play with refresh rules (see squid.conf). Note that what
you want probably violates HTTP, and you will end up serving stale/wrong
pages more often.

Alex.