Re: Memory use by squid is growing

From: Chris Wedgwood <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:30:40 +1200

On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 09:26:36AM +0000, Raul S. Bucad wrote:

> I've been running squid for 5 days now and i notice that
> results from the "top" program indicates that the memory
> used by squid has grown from 38 MB to 41 MB and I think
> is still growing.

> Is this normal, or is there some sort of memory leak.

That depends... its normal if it doesn't plateau.

How large is you cache store, and what version squid are you running?
I know that in the 1.2 series, the recent pre23's do leak, but 23 and
24 seem to be OK.

> What if I restart my PC when squid's memory used has consumed an
> alarming stage. Would that bring it back to the proper size.

If its a memory leak, it will buy you time. If its genuinely used
memory, then it will quickly increase again, depending on how full
you cache is.

-cw