Beta logfile analyser (with a difference) available

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:50:21 +1000

I'd like to get some feedback on a logfile analyser that I've been
working on for a little while (well, ok, a few days.)

It's called Squidge (don't ask), and it compares the hits to the cache
in the following ways:

* fresh objects vs. stale objects
* for stale objects, modified vs. unmodified on the origin server
* hit rate (hits, bytes)
* total hits (hits, bytes)

The catch is that it does this for EACH of the regex_patterns in
squid.conf, allowing you to tune your configuration to get the best
balance of hit rate and object freshness.

WARNING:
This is very beta; I'm sure there are bugs, and it very well may be that
the whole concept is just flawed (tell me if you think this is so,
please!). That having been said, it can't directly HURT anything to use
it, and I plan to keep working at it and adding whole new classes of
features if feedback is good.

So, please tell me what you think, positive or negative.

It's available at:

http://www.pobox.com/~mnot/squidge/

Mark Nottingham

[I should also make it clear that this software doesn't have anything to
do with my employer, I'm just subscribed to the list from this address;
if you wish to contact me privately about this, please cc:
mnot@pobox.com]