Re: Best way to transparent proxy?

From: Irfan Akber <irfan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 02:00:26 -0700

Please give the url of the software/hardware that you have used as
redirector/url modifier.

Thanks,

Irfan Akber

----------
From: Peter C. Norton <spacey@inch.com>
To: squid-users@ircache.net
Subject: Re: Best way to transparent proxy?
Date: Tuesday, September 15, 1998 1:51 PM

On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 09:44:39PM +0000, Paul Gregg wrote:
> Perhaps this is a rudimentary question - but what is a "TCP switch"?

A magical device that can pull the tablecloth out from under the glasses
while you eat.

Take a look at cisco's localdirector, or F5 Labs' BigIP. There are a
couple of others, both software and hardware, but these are the ones that
I'm at all familiar with.

> I think it comes down to "best" as in reliability and quality of service
from
> the proxy.

"Quality of service" ??? What does that mean? Reliability? Network
bandwidth shaping? Really good picture quality? I'm not being obtuse. I
seriously don't know what this is supposed to mean here.

What I'm doing is putting 4 systems behind a tcp redirector, or switch,
having them act as peers to each other, and playing some DNS tricks, and
voila - transparent caching proxy. You may want to forward some common
http ports, like port 8000, 8080, and 81 to the proxy as well.

--
Peter C. Norton                      Time comes into it. / Say it.  Say it.
spacey@pobox.com                   | The Universe is made of stories,

                                     Muriel Rukeyser "The Speed of
Darknesss"