ftp url problem?

From: Rodney Holm <rodneyh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:10:20 -0600

Hello,

On a squid 1.1.20 NOVM, Linux, I put the following url into my browser:
This is the absolute path of the file.

ftp://username:password@hostname/home/ftp/someuser/somefile.exe

I get the following response:

----------------------
ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL:
ftp://username@hostname/home/ftp/someuser/somefile.exe

The following FTP error was encountered:

      home/ftp/someuser/somefile.exe: Not a directory.

This means that:

    The given URL does not exist, or is not readable.

Generated Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT, by squid-ftpget/1.NOVM.20@TEAMInternet
-----------------------

If I change the url to the follwing:

ftp://username:password@hostname/somefile.exe

It works. The file actually lives in the directory i am put into on a
successful login. woohoo

It also works in both instances if I do not go through the proxy, ie. just using
a straight dialin client, or going through a masqueraded connection without the
proxy.

The reason I ask this is a site on the Internet generates the url and when I
click on it
it gives me the error. I played with it for a while and found that if I logged
using
an ftp command line client I could see and get the file both ways, using;
get /home/ftp/someuser/somefile.exe OR
get somefile.exe

Before I start digging through the squid code I would like to get a feel for if
this
has been fixed in a later release, and if not is it part of the url parsing code
in squid
or is it the squid ftpget program that is doing the wrong thing.

Thanks

Rodney D. Holm                  rodneyh@apexxtech.com
Apexx Technology, Inc.          http://www.apexxtech.com