Squid AsyncIO and LinuxThread

From: Apiset Tananchai <aet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:09:55 +0700 (ICT)

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Duane Wessels wrote:

> Apiset Tananchai writes:
>
> >Dear all,
> >
> >After upgrading from 1.2beta22 to 1.2beta24, my squid got a lot of
> >following assertion:
> >
> >(squid): client_side.c:399: clientHandleIMSReply: Assertion `entry->store_stat
> us != STORE_ABORTED' failed.
> >(squid): client_side.c:399: clientHandleIMSReply: Assertion `entry->store_stat
> us != STORE_ABORTED' failed.
> >
> >What debug info do you need to solve this problem? I currently set
> >debug ALL,1 in squid.conf and see nothing in cache.log that may relate to
> >this problem.
>
> The best place to start is with a stack trace from a debugger (gdb or
> dbx).
>
> The assertion should cause a core file to be generated. You can
> use this core file to get a stack trace. Instructions are at
> http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.18
> if you need them.

Hi Duane,

I tried to find the core file but it looks like Linux does not generate it
since asyncIO was enabled and LinuxThread was used. From section G.2 of
LinuxThread FAQ (http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/faq.html)

-- quote --
G.2: Does it work with post-mortem debugging?

Not very well. Generally, the core file does not correspond to the thread
that crashed. The reason is that the kernel will not dump core for a
process that shares its memory with other processes, such as the other
threads of your program. So, the thread that crashes silently disappears
without generating a core file. Then, all other threads of your program
die on the same signal that killed the crashing thread. (This is required
behavior according to the POSIX standard.) The last one that dies is no
longer sharing its memory with anyone else, so the kernel generates a core
file for that thread. Unfortunately, that's not the thread you are
interested in.
-- end quote --

I think you should mention this in the faq. BTW, since I don't have a core
dump file to generate stack trace, do you have other suggestion?

My system is PentiumII 350, 512MB Ram, 24GB spool, Linux 2.0.36p5 +
glibc2.0.7 running squid-1.2b24-1 (I haven't try 1.2b25 yet)

Regards,

--
aet