Configuration: How best to use squid?

From: Gerry E. George <ggeorge@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:18:04 -0400 (AST)

I am considering setting up squid to do web caching (of course). However I
am not sure which configuration to use. I have Linux running as a firewall
and internet gateway with apache performing proxying and caching in addition
to being the local intranet web server.

My dilema is, how do I configure squid. LAN consists of approximately 30
active web users on a shared dialup line via Linux box:
     - on the same linux box
     - on another linux box
     - do I turn off the apache proxy and allow squid to to all proxying
     - do I leave apache proxy and point apache to squid

I'm thinking to allow apache proxy to run on the default port 80 and point
it to squid on the same machine on another port. Of course I will turn off
the caching feature in apache. How efficient will this configuration be?

Gerry George <georgeg@candw.lc>
Remote Access Systems