Re: Problems downloading ASCII documents

From: Alan J. Flavell <flavell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 14:12:40 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Christian Krackowizer wrote:

> At 10:43 02.10.98 +0100, [you] wrote:

> > I'm runnig Squid 1.1.22 with transparent proxy. When I try to
> >download an ASCII document ( i.e.: at ftp://etinc.com/pub/linux, when I
> >try to dowload README I'm asked to save document instead of navigator
> >show it on the screen.).
> > What's the problem??

It appears that your Squid's FTP agent is defaulting ftp documents to
a type other than text/plain. I've found this to be a problem too.

If the ftp'd object is, say, an executable, then it would make a lot
of sense not to treat it as text/plain; but when it's a plain text
file that happens not to have a filename extension then that can be
quite frustrating. Unfortunately, squid's ftpget can only guess at
content-types.

Look at the -m option on squid's ftpget, but I hesitate to advise you
what you ought to set it to. (Caveat - I'm looking at squid v1).

(Hmmm, you might want to set it to a distinctive application/something
value, and then browsers could be configured to fire up an editor
as an optional helper app. I don't know any browser that can be
invited to display application/something as if it had been
text/plain, but I suspect configuring the default to be text/plain
would bring its own class of problems with files that were really
binary).

> This ia not a squid problem. You're requesting 'ftp://' ...

Think again, please.