Using a cache to insert usernames/passwords

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <koos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 16:58:55 +0200 (MET DST)

I have searched high and low for a solution for the following.

We have access to a database with information used in education here.

We need to enable our students/teachers to access it without telling
everyone the password.

The database used to be accessible via telnet which enabled us to write
a simple daemon to insert username and password in the telnet stream.
But they decided to 'upgrade' to world wide web.

Being on a Lotus Notes Domino server it seems to be impossible to get the
server to recognize our IP block as having access anyway.

Since we use a webproxy anyway with autoproxyconfig, is there a way to
insert the needed username/password in the http stream too ? Did someone
write anything for this ? I'm thinking of a separate simple proxy for this
task.

Thanks in advance for any hint/pointer,

                                 Koos van den Hout

--
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  koos@pizza.hvu.nl (Work)                                Fax: +31-30-2586290