Re: Cobalt

From: Gideon Glass <gid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 02:05:58 -0700 (PDT)

    At 21:16 03.10.98 -0500, Brian Feeny wrote:

>async I/O as in an async filesystem? Is that a reality on linux yet?
>Ultimitley, the plan is to grow a "farm" of Cobalts. I like the idea of
>multiple processors/machines for speed and redundancy. Could you comment
>for example, would 2 CacheRaQ's of the above config do better than my
>squid box? I know my RAID0 Ultra/Wide disk array is superior to an
>UltraATA single drive, but I was thinking some of whats lost in the cobalt
>could be made up with the 64bit processor, dma io, and possibly a farm of
>cobalts (a la alteon).

    Using multiple caches for load splitting is a VERY bad idea because you
    will not only share the load, but also the hit ratio. There is no chance
    setting up a sibling relationship between all boxes as this will give more
    load to every box than a single system has.

We were discussing multiple caches sitting behind an L4 switch.
ICP is not involved. Take a look at (for starters)

    http://www.alteon.com/products/index.phtml?page=products.html

gid