Re: Bug POSTing large requests

From: Apiset Tananchai <aet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 16:13:39 +0700 (ICT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Duane Wessels wrote:

> "Jordan Mendelson" writes:
>
> >Hello all, having some trouble doing a POST request with a long length.. the
> >result web page seems to always be truncated... the request in the squid
> >logs looks like:
> >
> >906095880.745 4417 24.40.14.4 TCP_MISS/200 10854 POST
> >http://slashdot.org/commentSubmit.pl? - CLOSEST_PARENT/uc.cache.nlanr.net
> >text/html
> >
> >This POST was about 500 characters long...
> >
> >In my squid.conf file:
> >
> >request_size 10000 KB
> >
> >I run squid 1.2b24 (with first patch) under Linux 2.1.109 (SMP) (configured
> >for proxy, not transproxy). This problem doesn't seem to appear when proxies
> >are turned off however.
>
> These POST problems can be hard to debug.
>
> With some effort, you can use the 'client' program to send post
> requests. You have to put the content of your request in a file,
> say 'foo', then you execute this command
>
> % client -m POST -P foo 'http://slashdot.org/commentSubmit.pl?...'
>
> It might help find out if the request is getting cut off, or if the
> reply is getting cut off, or ...?

I also have slightly different problem about POST. I found that for some
url, such as http://www.geocities.com/cgi-bin/homestead/file_manager.html,
transparent proxy user can't submit the from from that page. access.log
has the following entry logged (after a long timeout):

907575865.145 44000 203.155.35.200 TCP_MISS/000 0 POST http://www.geocities.com/cgi-bin/homestead/file_manager - CLOSEST_PARENT/proxy3.ksc.net.th -

and user got read timeout error. proxy3.ksc.net.th was sibling of this
cache (proxy1). After I added the following lines to squid.conf, the
problem solved:

acl POST method POST
cache_peer_acl proxy3.ksc.net.th !POST

both proxy1 and proxy3 are running squid-1.2b22, though. The strange thing
is that why proxy1 send query to proxy3 even though I already have
following lines:

hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?

Regards,

--