Re: Squid SNMP Features

From: Mark Visser <mark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 22:41:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Glenn Chisholm wrote:

> While looking at the current implimentation of SNMP in squid I have
> encountered a number of things that I would like some consensus on.
>
> The first is the use of acl's in the SNMP configuration. My current
> preference would be to drop this feature totally and rely upon the use of
> community strings. This would reduce complexity and make the code
> considerably cleaner. Giving a config of:
>
> snmp_port 3401
>
> snmp_agent_conf community mysecretcommunity

I go for another time with my suggestion. What about the following ideas;

1) a squid-snmp.conf with all configurable entries:
   hostname, adminname, ports etc.
   AND with all the OID's you want to be visible

2) as 1) but with a separate mib.txt

3) No more config at all and make it a configure option, something like
   ./configure --enable-snmp --snmp-port=3401 --snmp-community=

I think 1 is more what people in practice want to use. Easy configuration,
and more control about what is visible. No snmp related stuff is in
squid.conf then.

> The second would be to drop the ability for squid to forward SNMP.

That is something where i can't comment on that much, but IMHO it's a
pretty useless option now.

> As part of these changes squid will no longer require the ability to read
> the mib file to startup. The library has been upgraded to remove a number
> of bugs and I will look at SNMP v2 support. These changes should also
> improve the startup time.

Very good. Now it's time to work further on a complete SNMP Squid
monitoring package. I'll see what i can come up with.

> As anyone who uses SNMP with squid would have noticed there are a number
> of changes in the Squid 2.RELEASE implimentation. These are primarily
> aimed at allowing a move to a generic proxy mib as work on that
> progresses.

I'm glad SNMP support is progressing very well again. I hope to see it
become even better then it is now.

Mark

Mark Visser | Student Civiele Technologie & Management
Calslaan 26 - 31 | E-mail: mark@cal026031.student.utwente.nl
7522 MC Enschede | SNT-mail: mark@snt.utwente.nl
Telephone: 053-4895038 |
Warning: You can get rid of all the bugs by disabling them from the main menu.