META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" ..... (fwd)

From: Ross Wheeler <rossw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 18:43:01 +1000 (EST)

I'm finding blank walls everywhere I look on this, yet I'm sure it's a
common question. Perhaps someone can point me to where it's been covered?

I recently upgraded squid to 1.1.22 only to find that somewhere the
behaviour has changed *slightly* (I think).

Our home page, which is generated on the fly, includes some SSI stuff
that is user specific. Ie, depending on who you are, you get a different
page. Squid is now serving "http://www.albury.net.au/" as a TCP_HIT most
of the time, resulting in people getting the WRONG data!

I thought I could be cute and use the following:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="Wed, 14 Oct 1997 06:41:40 GMT">

in the page, which is set to about a year ago, and should be well and
truely expired! yet it STILL says TCP_HIT!

What am I doing wrong?

I am happy for the proxy to cache our local pages, just not dynamically
generated ones, which is why I want to use the "Expires" tag.

Any ideas?

TIA, RossW