handling logs

From: Joe Smith <joey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 05:18:13 -0500 (CDT)

What are some of you doing with your log files? I would like to archive
the access.log on a weekly basis to another directory on the server that I
could make accessible via a web browser for perusing. I know how to
handle the web server end of it, and making it secure.

I just haven't decided the best way to archive the logs. I think
preferably I would put them in the directory in a gzipped or bzipped
state, with a descriptive filename, and when they select the file from the
browser list it would decompress the file and display.

My log files aren't large enough that I should have to move the data into
a data base, so handling them as compressed text should be convenient.