Re: handling logs

From: Carlos Maltzahn <carlosm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:55:03 -0600 (MDT)

- rotate logs at midnight (or some other off-peak time) - for each of the
  rotated log files rename them such that the part after '.' is the date
  yyyy-mm-dd
- gzip them
- move them to an archive site

For display use the gzip C-library (or wrappers that are available for
scripting languages such as Perl, Python, or Tcl). It allows you to open a
file and transparently decompress it as you read it.

Carlos