Re: Squid speed

From: Michael Fuhr <mfuhr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:54:15 -0600

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 08:56:35AM -0400, Don Brown wrote:

> I'm new to using Squid, so please be gentle.

Welcome! How's that?

> The system is storing a copy of the requests, but it doesn't seem to be
> sending from my cached area when a new request comes in. For example,
> if I download a 1M file, quit my browser and start it again, then
> download that same file, the speed is the same as the first time. My
> understanding is that I should be retrieving it at the speed of my
> network, not starting from scratch. What could I have configured wrong?

Check your access.log for the cache result code (TCP_REFRESH_MISS,
TCP_HIT, etc.) on the second request. See the Squid FAQ for
descriptions of result codes and the refresh algorithm:

    http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-6.html#ss6.5
    http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-12.html#ss12.20

It's possible the object is volatile enough that Squid fetches a new
copy each time. If you like, post the relevant lines from your
access.log and store.log and we'll take a look at them.

I've seen slow browsers take a long time to load objects, even from a
local file. But let's check out Squid before placing blame :-)

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.net/~mfuhr/