Re: can't download ftp .gz files

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 02:53:22 +0200

Ettore De Simone wrote:

> I'm using PATCH2, and it does "almost" correctly - except for
> .diff.gz files (?), which have the .gz suffix stripped out.
> Download goes correctly, file saved as .diff but ok.
> .tar.gz are ok, as well as .tgz.

As far as I know Squid does the correct thing on both .tar.gz and
.diff.gz files.

.tgz:

.tar.gz:

.diff.gz:

Netscape Communicator is known to get confused by compressed objects.
Most times it saves compressed obects without .Z (or .gz) extension, but
the reverse may also be true.

It is also known that on some platforms (mainly Windows) Netscape get
even more confused, and thinks that application/XXXXX is something that
is viewable on screen. If you are bothered by this then teach your
Netscape that application/* formats should be saved on disk and can't be
viewed on screen (Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator / Applications)

---
Henrik Nordström
Spare time Squid hacker