Re: %20 in URLs (was Re: Squid and spaces in URLs)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 03:13:54 +0200

Marc van Selm wrote:

> In url.c we change %xx into a character. http://www.kpn-telecom.nl
> uses %20 in their URL's (stupid?) This translates here in a space and
> so triggers a protocol error.

I don't know what Squid you are using, but mine handles %20 URL's fine.

www.kpn-telecom.nl does however not work, but the reason to this is
"http://www.ptt-telecom.nl/9267199/v/f3c.htm?100223001nedn3http://www.kpn-telecom.nl/;Homepage
KPN Telecom;Ptt-Telecom;h;" which does contain unencoded spaces.

> But now the question: what is the rational behind the function
> url_convert_hex and is %20 in an URL really illegal?

%20 is fully legal. Unencoded spaces isn't fully legal.

> If not we could decide to patch this function to leave these type
> of URL (or just the %20) alone.

%20 is left alone.

Squid 2 never touches the URL path when forwarding requests. The
%escaping/unescaping code is only used when gatewaing to ftp,wais or
gopher.

---
Henrik Nordström
Spare time Squid hacker