Re: Forwarding loops with squid 2.0 RELEASE

From: John Sloan <johns@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 14:59:28 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Niall Doherty wrote:

> > > Try Squid-2.0.PATCH2. It has fixes for digest forwarding loop bugs.
> >
> > I have now upgraded three of our external caches to Squid-2.0.PATCH2.
> > There are all set up as mutual peers.
> >
> > The incidence of the loop warnings has certainly diminished, but it has
> > not disappeared:
>
> The fix Duane is referring to breaks any forwarding loops that are
> detected. It doesn't stop them occurring.

Given the frequency, I suspect they are only happening on false hits.
This is logical, at least. True hits won't generate a loop.

> One way of stopping them is to configure your cache so that any
> requests that originate from siblings, do not cause requests to
> go out to any other siblings (and the other sibling maintainers
> should do the same). Here's an example:
>
> # siblings you know about
> acl from_peers srcdomain "/usr/local/squid/etc/trusted_caches"
>
> # caches you use as *siblings* only - parents not necessary
> cache_peer_access proxy1.me.com deny from_peers
> cache_peer_access proxy2.me.com deny from_peers
>
> Cheers,
> Niall

I would have thought it more suitable for this to be the default
behaviour. That way if I configure my cache in the naiive fashion, it
works without complaint.

I can't think of a good reason why anyone would want requests from
siblings to be resolved through other siblings. And especially not from
the originating sibling.

John

John Sloan
UK Unix Systems Administrator