Squid on Solaris and Intel

From: Jeff Madison <jeff@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:57:56 -0700

I have been fighting for several months now to get squid to work on Solaris
2.6 on an Intel built server. The server is a multiprocessor box with a 40
GB hardware level RAID array with 512 MB of RAM. I have all the confidence
that the hardware is some of the best available from Intel. I am running
squid-2.0.PATCH2 configured
ith -enable-poll --enable-async-io --enable-dlmalloc -enable-ipf-transpare
nt. I am using the default squid.conf with some very minor modifications
such as changing the http port to 8080. I am putting the system under a
some what heavy load but not any thing it should not be able to handle. The
problem occurs after the system has been running for about an hour. The
system just runs out of memory and becomes extremely slow. The squid
process its self is only using 20-30 MB or the memory. I would appreciate
any suggestions for optimization or some type of solution to this problem.
I even open to changing the OS if that would help. If there is anyone that
has experience with this problem or any ideas please respond ASAP.

Jeff Madison
Systems Engineer
(801)924-0900 x 101