Re: cachemgr.cgi ... manager name?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:53:57 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Alex Pikus wrote:

> What is the manager name and password that the cachemgr.cgi is asking for?

The name is for informational purposes only (so you know who is accessing the
cache). It is recorded in cache.log _only_ if you supply a password. I often
type my name and a bogus password so other people who watch cache.log know
that it is me checking on something rather than a bored hacker attacking our
cache. Note that password is actually _checked_ only for options that require
one.

The password is set in squid.conf.

Henrik has proposed some enhancements for this scheme. Watch out for updates
in ChangeLog.

Alex.