Re: multiple outgoing addresses

From: Andrew Cormack <Cormack@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:52:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> > 2. I'm looking for a way how to use different tcp_outgoing_address
> > based on client acl, something like that:
>
> This is sort of possible. What you can do is to set up no-caching Squids
> that binds to the intended outgoing address, and use cache_peer_access
> and never_direct to direct requests to the correct outgoing address.

I'd thought of this a while ago, as I'm being asked to account separately
for cache traffic from two different sites. I didn't try it, as I was
concerned about the additional load the duplicate squid process would
place on the machine. If anyone is running two squids on one machine, I'd
be grateful for your estimates of how much extra load this places on the
machine, over sending the same number of requests through a single
process. Presumably, since the second squid process isn't maintaining a
cache directory, its memory requirements stay pretty low, but how much do
the two processes fight over other system resources ?

Thanks for any information, or just reassurance that it can work!

Andrew

       | Andrew Cormack               | email: cormack@cardiff.ac.uk     |
       | Information Systems Support, | snail: 40/41 Park Place, Cardiff |
       |    postmaster and webmaster  |        CF1 3BB                   |
       | University of Wales, Cardiff |                                  |
       | Web page and PGP key: http://www.cf.ac.uk/People/cormack.html   |