Re: PAC files

From: <rstagg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:00:54 +0000

If you're working with MSIE you might like to know a little "gotcha" that I
found with auto-proxy config.

You can give the browser a choice of proxies - a primary and a failover, in
effect. Eg:
     return "PROXY proxy1:3128; PROXY proxy2:3128";

Netscape reads this as "Try proxy1 first, and if that fails, try proxy2".
For whatever zany reason, MSIE (version 4, certainly; I'm unsure about
earlier versions) reads this backwards as "Try proxy2 first, and then
proxy1". Basically it starts at the end and reads backwards :-)

To preserve sanity, I recode this as:
     return "PROXY proxy1:3128; PROXY proxy2:3128; PROXY proxy1:3128";

This achieves the desired failover protection with either major browser.

Richard Stagg

"Ounsted, Toby" <tkounste@bechtel.com>
30/10/98 09:12