Re: Satisfying IMS from HEAD or IMS would help where browser cach es

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 17:09:22 +0100

Nottingham, Mark (Australia) wrote:

> I need to reread your message to really get what you're saying there,
> but FYI Netscape servers do NOT include a LM header when the request is
> a head. This violates the spirit of the HTTP, but not the letter...

Netscape servers (at least the ones I have tested) do return LM headers
when a LM header is returned on a GET request for the same object. No LM
header is returned on SSI parsed objects for either GET or HEAD, but
then is no Content-Length returned either as it is a generated object
and both Last-Modified and Content-Length is unknown at the start of the
generation.

A random HEAD request to a Netscape server:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/2.01