Re: Choosing neighbor cache based on url

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 19:02:30 +0100

Irfan Akber wrote:

> Thanks, What about skipping the first line i.e cache_host_acl server1
> endings
> and only specifying
>
> cache_host_acl server2 !endings
>
> Now I presume this will result in not fetching the urls that end with
> 'endings' from server2 and would fetch the rest from server1 by default as
> we have 2 neighbors, right ?

No

server2 will not be used for objects matching endings.

server1 will be used for all kinds of objects, including requests that
could have been handled by server2.

cache_host_acl (or cache_peer_access in Squid 2) does not say that a
peer has to be used for a given request. All it says is if a peer can be
used or not. Squid then selects which peer to use among the possible
peers using other methods (ICP round-trip time, round-robin or
whatever).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker