RE: Satisfying IMS from HEAD or IMS would help where browser cach es

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:33:59 +1100

> HTTP/1.0 200 OK
> Server: Netscape-Enterprise/2.01
> Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 15:24:07 GMT
> Accept-ranges: bytes
> Last-modified: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:46:25 GMT

That's WAY interesting; I wrote a quick spider to go over 1000+ sites
and run a 1.1 HEAD. Netscape 2.x origin servers would almost always not
send a Last-Modified on a HEAD, but would be fine with a GET. Hmm, I
might write something to find Netscape servers and compare the GET and
HEAD responses...

[...]

> So yes, it is allowable to send close to any headers in reply
> to a HEAD
> request, but it is strongly discouraged.

Yup, that's how I read that as well.