RE: Satisfying IMS from HEAD or IMS would help where browser cach es

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 16:17:08 +1100

Try these requests:

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/
http://hakatai.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/
http://www.mtn.co.za/
http://www.mks.com/

It's interesting. The behavior I'm seeing only happens on the home page
(www.foo.com/, not www.foo.com/index.html or anything else). When
requested as a HEAD, it returns no LM tag, but does with a GET. I
imagine it's just a trivial bug in Netscrape (3.5.1)... not as bad as I
thought (my spider just did the base page for each site), because any
other object is represented correctly.

[fiddles around some more]

Yup, it appears to occur with anything served from a directory index
(anything with a trailing '/')... must be a bug in their equivalent of
Apache's DirectoryIndex stuff. Will report to Netscape.