Re: Standard HTTP error codes how?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 01:05:59 +0100

Nottingham, Mark (Australia) wrote:

> I don't know why the browsers don't expand hostnames when they're
> using a proxy, but I suspect it's because this 'feature' isn't
> really HTTP compliant, and there may be some situations in
> corporate settings where the behavior would be undesireable
> (i.e., behind a firewall, anything can happen).

Because doing so requires DNS lookups, and browsers generally
skips DNS lookups when using a proxy.

You can write this in a PAC script if you like to have the
behaviour even when using a proxy. Another option is to use
a Squid redirector returning HTTP redirects when appropriate.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker